Thursday, October 6, 2011

Playing Pretend

We looked at the stump of our favorite climbing tree. Standing around it, heads tilted to the side, all wondering the same thing, "when will the faeries get here?" I was told once that faeries liked to gather at tree stumps, especially when there's food around. So I laid down the crustless peanut butter sandwich in the the middle and sat down a few feet back. The other three girls followed suit and came to sit next to me. We waited for what felt like hours hoping to see even the shadow of a wing, but nothing.

Our mother's called us home for supper and my mind raced wondering if a faerie had come while I was gone. As soon as I had finished my vegetables I raced back to the stump and the food was gone! I knew the faeries would like peanut butter, they had to have been the ones to take it!

Day after day we would return to that stump, hoping maybe this time we'll see one. While we would wait we would play as if we were faeries flying off to far off places, like Neverland. We would go on daring adventures no mere child could on. We did this so often we began to forget to bring the food.

[Prompt: Take your partner's title of other story and write your own story.]

No comments:

Post a Comment